A church dedicated to Saint Mary has stood on this site from the 12th Century. The first incumbent is recorded as being in the parish in 1189. The present church, rebuilt in 1863, is typical Victorian Gothic, with only the tower and the chancel arch remaining from the original Norman structure. Items of interest include a 13th Century font and a stone plaque which is believed to be a panel from a tomb in the style of Adam & Eve.
St Mary's hosts a display of the history of Bonvilston in photographs and stories. Created by a Community Group it covers all aspects of village life.